My Dublin based client is looking for a Telecoms Manager (Senior Team Lead) to join their team.
This offers a unique opportunity to further your career in IT while playing a significant role in delivering the companies IT transformation.
In this position you will be joining a team who are accountable for all IT infrastructure services across the company from design and delivery of new solutions to maintenance and support of current services. The role of the Telecoms Manager is to take overall responsibility for delivery of the strategic Telecoms programme and to deliver Telecoms operations (run) and new initiative (change) services.
The Telecoms Manager in the Chief People and Information Office (CPIO) will lead a team that delivers Telecoms service management for Ireland’s Telecoms network (Critical National Infrastructure), and delivers key projects providing new capability to the Telecoms Network.
The team are responsible for the technical and operational governance of third party suppliers who support these systems under a Managed Service Agreement. The Telecoms Manager is accountable for the operational performance of these contracts and the management of the companies Telecoms team which directly interface with these suppliers.
The Telecoms Manager is responsible for ensuring a high standard of safety, customer service and Operational Telecoms network integrity at all times.
The role reports to the Head of IT Infrastructure.
- Contribute to the development and oversee the implementation of the Telecoms strategy
- Drive the implementation of new communication protocols and new telecommunications designs to support our exciting journey to IP (Internet Protocol) Technologies
- Oversee Telecoms governance and key decisions at a group level, responsible for local execution of the telecoms programme for the company and in a matrix approach in relation to SONI
- Manage the relationships with key third party suppliers of telecoms services, including ESB Networks ensuring that services are fully resilient, safe and secure, and optimising contract delivery and effectiveness through Service Level Agreements
- Lead post incident reviews and root cause analysis investigations to ensure that learning is fed back to prevent reoccurrence; including liaising with key stakeholders, provision of management reports and implementation of corrective actions
- Escalation of incidents to third party suppliers and liaising with key business stakeholders, internal IT teams and external parties to understand the impact to services, both within the working day and out of hours ensuring that service is brought back into operations as quickly as possible
- Providing technical advice and guidance to Grid Infrastructure teams on Telecommunications requirements for new construction projects. Critically review technical and commercial content of supplier proposals
- Proactively review the health of all Telecoms assets. Drive suppliers to implement robust asset management processes. Ensure adequate funding for, and timely implementation of, asset refresh projects
- Strive for operational excellence by driving suppliers to deliver continual performance improvements, chair service reviews, review incidents and negotiate service credits. Ensure that the systems are maintained with the latest functional and security updates, access controls are effective and user accounts and privileged access are well managed
- Collaborate with colleagues to contribute to strategic planning and business planning activities
- Support major and minor projects delivering new capability to the Telecommunications network; oversee requirements capture, design reviews, testing, service transition and move into enduring support
- Work with IT, the business and all third party stakeholders to ensure that any changes to the networks and associated hardware are not going to affect the safe operational control of the networks
- Work with Audit, Security and any other outside Government organisations to ensure that the support operation is compliant with policies and standards expected of critical national infrastructure
- Ensure that disaster recovery plans are in place and tested appropriately
- Work closely with business and technical stakeholders to support the delivery of Telecoms services
- Responsibility for annual budget and track actuals against an approved budget plan
- Commercial management including the review and challenge of the monthly invoices for the managed service, forecast annual spend, provide operational insight to commercial negotiations, and strive for operational and project savings
- Analyse technology industry and market trends and determine their potential impact to telecoms services and design
- Communicate effectively to technology and business stakeholders, including senior management, via meetings, presentations and reports
- Provide thought leadership and advocate industry best practices and principles
- Represent the company externally at conferences and events, making presentations and engaging in external forums and bodies as appropriate
Critical knowledge, skills and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering, technology management or other relevant degree
- Significant experience of leading in a technical IT environment with experience in telecoms delivery covering network (data & voice), telecommunications, remote terminal units (RTU’s), resilience and cyber security.
- Experience of managing critical major incidents out of hours
- Excellent persuasive communication, negotiating, influencing and relationship building skills across multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and influence others to move towards a common vision or goal and able to work collaboratively with and through others
- Experience of constructing, leading and managing projects with a strong focus on delivery
- Extensive experience in managing 3rd party suppliers
- Ability to understand and interpret both security and external regulations that impact upon the operation and effective running of telecommunications networks.
- A tenacity to drive excellence and quality in all aspects of their areas of responsibility, identifying and embracing best practice.
- Confident operating and managing in an environment of change.
- Strong customer and service delivery focus; demonstrating a thorough understanding of the customer needs.
- Passionate, engaging with a drive and enthusiasm to deliver on the company vision and strategy while dealing tactically with operational issues.
- Demonstrate commitment to continuous professional development.
Desirable, but not essential:
- Experience or understanding of the structure and organisation of utilities and their core activities.
- Relevant industry certification e.g. eTOM (enhanced Telecom Operations Map).
- ITIL Certification.
- Knowledge of telecommunications technology and e.g. Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH), Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), IP Networks.