Server Migration Tech Lead
€500 - €550
My Financial Services client is actively looking to recruit a Server Migration Engineer on a 6-12 month contract.
- The successful candidate will be partaking in a project where they will be migrating 600 servers (Windows 2003 and 2008) to new 2016/2019 VM servers. The 600 servers in scope support 147 applications. This project is not responsible to upgrade applications, just the servers.
- This candidate will own the migration process of the application from old to new servers.
- This role will require a candidate who may need to be flexible in the scope of this role as the project evolves.
- Taking a leading “hands on” role in planning and executing the migration of legacy 2003 and 2008 windows servers to 2019, 2016 OS using a combination of Z-Install and IIS Easy Migration Tool.
- Audit and document Servers, Analyse Purpose and business function of Server, dependencies on other servers and application interfaces.
- Plan Migration of Physical as well as VMWare Virtual Servers
- verify if the application will work or not on the new 2016/2019 OS prior to actual upgrade.
- Prepare documentation for change approval (runbooks, roll back plans etc.)
- Identify any required patches and Patch Legacy Server.
- Identify and implement any required workarounds.
- Perform Migration mainly using Zinstall and IIS Easy Migration Tool
- Trouble Shoot Migration related issues
- Provide positive and proactive participation within the team and active collaboration with colleagues across the Group as appropriate.
- Reports into Technical Lead
- For applications that are too old to work on the new 2016 OS we will need to ring fence them using the Symantec DCS. Not essential but is a bonus if candidate has this experience
Migration Tech Lead responsibilities:
- Overall Technical responsible for a group of servers being migrated from Desk Checking to Sign off of Migration Slot.
- A group being e.g. Test, Pre-Producion & Production
- Work hand in glove with Change Lead (PM) assigned to that migration change.
- Lead technical Discussions
- Raise any concerns with schedule (Managed by PM), do we have time for all preparation activities?
- Ensure we have the correct technical resources onboard for this group of servers.
- Raise any Technical concerns with Lead Architect
- Ensure desk checks are completed to required quality
- Analyse the Servers and how they are used by Applications
- Meet with Application and support teams to leverage their knowledge and experience
- Propose Migration Approach and ensure by in by rest of team
- Create Runbook
- Ensure Technical SME’s understand their remit in runbook
- Ensure runbook is followed
- Make any required calls to ensure the successful migration or successful roll back.
- Lead trouble shooting when required
- If assigned as the migration engineer for that change perform the migration steps (z-install tool, etc.)
- More than 10 years experience of Windows Server Operating Systems from 2003-2019.
Essential and Desirable Skills
- You will need to be technical and ‘hands-on’.
- Extensive experience required of:
- Windows Server OS
- VMWare, ESXi 6.x
- Active Directory Domain Controller, CSSM, IIS Server, SQL Server,
- Also experience preferably of:
- IEMT (IIS Easy Migration Tool)
- Print Server, File-share, SharePoint, MQ, Connect Direct
- JBoss, IBM WebSphere, IBM HTTP Server
- Excellent Communication Skills and High level of experience in trouble shooting and categorising issues (group polices, security, application related etc) is essential
- Good technical knowledge of network protocols and related technologies, and a variety of platforms.
- Good knowledge of IT Security best practice and CISSP.
- Some knowledge of information security and risk control frameworks such as COBiT, NIST, ISO 27001, ISO 27002.
- Knowledge of PCI is preferred.
- 3rd Level qualification in IT is preferred.