Power Systems Applications Manager (Dublin) (Senior Team Lead)
My Dublin based client has a unique role for a Power Systems Applications Manager (Senior Team Lead) to play in leading this radical transformation IT Systems of the company.
My Dublin based client has a unique role to play in leading this radical transformation their IT Systems. This will require pioneering engineering effort together with a substantially enhanced IT capability to respond successfully to the scale of disruption.
This role offers a unique opportunity to further your career in IT.
We’re an IT intensive business, and we operate a state-of-the-art, specialised business-critical systems, 24/7. The Applications team operates across all four key operational sites and is responsible for the development and support of the companies core Management System (EMS) and other related applications.
The IT Applications team has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Power Systems Applications Manager, based at our offices in Dublin. In this position you will be joining a team that operate at the interface of the real time power system operations supporting a wide range of complex systems in a challenging environment.
The Power Systems Applications Manager is responsible for maintaining the availability and support of power system applications, including the energy management system, in the advancement of our legacy systems and developing new emerging technologies to support the business.
You will plan and manage the programme of work for the EMS and SCADA data teams and will work closely with Business Change teams to ensure that the complex data needs of our mission-critical applications are met. The Power Systems Applications Manager has overall responsibility for the establishment, testing and troubleshooting of real time data exchange between the control centres and remote sites such as substations, generators and interconnectors, across Ireland and beyond. Underpinning this the role holder is responsible for ensuring the EMS SCADA and network model database keeps pace with and accurately reflects the evolving power system as new customers connect and grid infrastructure projects are delivered.
The role reports to the Head of IT Applications
The role holder will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain the availability and support of power system applications, including the management system through a substantial period of change.
- Assessment of technical problems in an analytical manner followed by the tracking and co-ordination of issue resolution, sometimes on an emergency basis.
- Lead the management of major incidents, managing key stakeholders and contribute to crisis management planning and delivery
- Contribute to the development and evolution of the IT strategy, including Control room of the future, Management System, Digital and Data strategies
- Drive Management System governance and key decisions, responsible for local execution of services within the Management System programme for the Group.
- Deliver seamless 24 x 7 support, in real-time, of issues with EMS and provide subject matter expertise to resolve these (as part of a defined 24-hour rota) for our key customers
- Ensure that appropriate business continuity and risk management programmes and incident reporting procedures are implemented and in place
- Support the introduction of new tools, processes and technologies including the provision of support and resource capability to deliver projects.
- Provide advice and guidance to the companies Application teams on Management System and associated SCADA data requirements for new projects.
- Support major and minor projects delivering new capability to the Management System; oversee requirements capture, design reviews, testing, deployment and migration into enduring support.
- Schedule and deliver a rolling programme of work for the modelling, deployment and testing/ pre-commissioning of new plant in the EMS, ensuring that the power system model keeps pace with the physical power system.
- Develop strategic resourcing plans for operational and project related activities, detailing the development and training requirements of the team.
- Allocate team resources to meet priorities, manage operational issues as they arise, coach staff, provide technical expertise and act as an escalation point .
- Report on team progress against service levels, escalating risks and issues as required.
- Provide effective stakeholder management of both internal and external stakeholders (technical and non-technical) including key external vendors and internal service providers, prioritising issues and ensuring compliance with SLAs.
- Collaborate with colleagues to contribute to strategic planning and business planning activities.
- Liaise on a cross-functional basis to drive continuous improvement in information sharing, SCADA signal list quality and engineering standards.
- Represent the company externally at conferences and events, making presentations and engaging in external forums and bodies as appropriate.
- Lead the transformation of work practices, processes and procedures in support of the Group Strategy
- Analyse technology industry and market trends and determine their potential impact to the Management system services and design.
- Provide thought leadership and advocate industry best practices and principles.
- Review and develop internal procedures, processes and documentation.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Third level qualification or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Experience supporting mission & business critical services in a 24X7 environment
- Extensive experience of establishing and maintaining effective relationships with management and internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in researching technologies and developing high level designs
- Strong analytical and problem solving capability
- Self-starter with the ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Experience of working in a quick paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Demonstrable track record of motivating and leading teams
- Effective communicator, both in verbal and written communications to business and technical audiences
- Experience of working in Control Centre Environment
- Experience of configuring, testing and commissioning SCADA data
- Experience working with GE e-terra suite of applications
- Experience of best-practice delivery of IT services using ITIL